June 6: First Day/ Introductions

    

    Hello! My name is Shari Spiegel and I am a rising junior at The Ohio State University majoring in Primary Education. I grew up in a small suburb called Beachwood in Cleveland Ohio. I am currently on a program called Onward where I chose to intern at the Ethiopian National Project with hopes to become more educated and build my work experience. I am so excited to be able to share my journey at ENP with everyone!


June 6: First Day/ Introductions 

Between figuring out public transportation, the anxiety of meeting coworkers, and figuring out the work environment, the first day of a new job/internship is very nerve racking. Luckily, I had nothing to worry about. Everyone was so kind and welcoming. I immediately noticed the pleasant atmosphere when I had a meeting with the Director of International Relations where we spoke about expectations and my focus areas. From this conversation we decided I will be initiating a project called “Pen Pals” where Ethiopian students will be communicating with other students by handwriting in journals and sending a picture to the designated pen pal bi weekly. Journal prompts will be provided to give the children some inspiration regarding conversation starters.  At the end of summer, participants will be introduced via zoom where they can converse on all they have learned about each other! Hopefully this will enhance students English skills. An additional focus for my time at ENP is this blog where I will share my personal experience. It was a fantastic first day that got me excited to spend the next two months interning at such a fulfilling place.


- Shari Spiegel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating Sigd: Old Traditions Meet New Communities

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale