"This Journey Called My Life"

ENP intern Tamara Maltiel recently attended an ENP mission at the ENP Rehovot Youth Outreach Center. Below is her account of her experience:

On a recent mission to Rehovot’s Outreach Center, I was talking to a group of teenage girls who frequent the center. I asked them what they like to study and one mentioned that she liked to sing. She told me that the girls had all made a singing group together and wrote their own songs. It didn’t take much to get the girls to agree to give us an impromptu performance. The song I heard was so much more than what I expected. Not only was it musically beautiful, but the lyrics were obviously incredibly meaningful to the girls as they sang. It was a song about trying so hard to reach your goals. One verse says, “I need to aim higher or be more certain of myself/So that I don’t give up, even if it’s hard/I’ll push myself uphill until I’ve tasted success.” The song also talks about relying on oneself to have the strength to make it through life.

High school is normally a challenging time. It’s a time of trying to define who you are, who your friends are, and what your goals are, and taking classes on top of everything. These girls have the additional challenge of trying to balance their Ethiopian and Israeli identities.

The song has a beautiful message of bringing yourself up even if you fall. It uses the sun as a metaphor; every evening it loses its strength and stops shining, but every morning it brings itself up to try again.

The song lyrics:

I’m dreaming about reaching there
Maybe another step, and maybe this is early
I want to see the light at the peak
Meanwhile I am alone on the ground

I always hoped that the day would arrive, always
I aspired in hope to fulfill the dream
I wanted to realize the endless desire
I didn’t ask anyone because I knew the journey was entirely mine
And I knew that if I want to succeed
I need to aim higher or promise myself
Not to give up, yes, yes, yes, even if it’s hard
To push myself upward until I’ve tasted success

I’m dreaming about reaching there
Maybe another step, and maybe this is early
I want to see the light at the peak
Meanwhile I am alone on the ground

And even if I fall I know
So get up and stand on my own two feet
I won’t close my eyes, and I’ll try again
To move forward in this journey called my life
Like a journey in the desert without water
Like the sun that loses itself in the nights
It slowly lost the strength
But every morning it brings itself up on its own two feet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students