Goodbye Judy, Blog Post #8

Best part of today: meeting with and saying a sweet goodbye to Dagitu and Baush! After finishing the book, In God's Name, we answered the questions of who the characters were, what was the problem, and what was the solution. In this particular story, every character had a different name for God. They finally came together, saw each other's reflections, and called God the name One. The girls loved the illustrations and the idea that each person can think of God differently, AND that they could come together.

We shared snacks and addresses, took pictures, and wished we could continue. I gave them each a phrase book, telling them they should study it! Daily! They know English is useful and important to know, even as they devote some of their time this summer to studying Amharic and Mathematics. What touched me most was a beautiful letter they had written, which they read to me, thanking me for volunteering to help them with English. What lovely young people, who cared enough to acknowledge my work! It was, like the book we read, a reflection of what I tried to do.

The boys, alas, did not show up for their last lesson, so they missed out on the treats, lyrics, and phrase books, but as my friend Bob Carroll reminded me, "Education is the belief in the possible." I wish them well.

Thank you so much to Frayda Leibtag and Grace Rodnitzki of the ENP for making these special volunteer opportunities possible. Good luck, also, to Yisraela of the Jerusalem Gymnasia, with your study for the bagruyot.

My wish for ENP is that you can continue this critically important work. Kol tuv, perhaps we will meet again next summer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students