The Flint Jewish Federation Civic Leadership Interfaith Mission Visits the Gedera Youth Outreach Center


ENP recently hosted the Flint Jewish Federation Civic Leadership Interfaith Mission at the Gedera Youth Outreach Center (funded by the UJA Federation of New York) and I had an opportunity to participate in this visit. The ENP Mission visits brings groups from Canada, the US, the United Kingdom and abroad to get a first hand look at the work of ENP for the Ethiopian Israeli community.

During the visit to the youth center the Flint Interfaith Mission heard from Dr. Negist Mengesha, Director General of ENP and Micha Feldman about the need for youth centers and other social services for Ethiopian Israelis throughout Israel. Micha played a major role in the miraculous rescue of Ethiopian Jews and aliyah to Israel through Operation Moses and Solomon and the group were fascinated by his stories of Ethiopian Jewry's struggles. The group also had the opportunity to learn a traditional Ethiopian dance and meet with the kids from youth center. Many of the Ethiopian teenagers use The Gedera Youth Center as a place to study for matriculation exams, use the on site computers or just to relax.

Common world bonds were discussed such as Facebook, YouTube, and love of Ethiopian food by the Americans and Israelis. The group also discussed their thoughts on Israel today, their studies, hopes and dreams for the future and why they attend the youth center.

Esther – "I want to become an architect and I have to prepare for the matriculation exams and to apply for scholarships. I come to the youth center to study with tutors and use the computers to learn, write papers and apply for scholastic programs. Some of the younger kids use the computers for games or chatting with friends. Without the Youth Center I don’t know where I would go to prepare for my studies.

Yael – "Before exams, there are school marathons at the youth center. This helps the kids to achieve better grades. The activities at the youth center are very similar to scouts activities. For example, the older kids lead the young kids in certain projects."

Sara – “My mother cleans hospitals and my father is a gardener. A lot of my family still lives in Ethiopia. My family has visited me from Ethiopia, but I have never been there. At ENP, I am a member of a theatre group at the youth center and I am interested in music. Last year, the theater group performed for Prime Minister Netanyahu.”

During my visit to the youth center, I was particularly impressed by a group of Ethiopian-Israelis community volunteers who want to share their experiences of growing up as a olah chadasha (new immigrant) and to be an inspiration to the younger generation. A major problem in the Ethiopian Israeli community is a lack of self confidence and self worth. These role models serve as mentors and friends to the youth center participants and are crucial to ENP's mission to serve as a support system for the kids with any emotional, educational or social problems that may occur within their lives.

Shira – "When I first arrived from Ethiopia in the 80's, I was in a new country, did not know the language and was only one of a handful of Ethiopian kids in my school. I had very low self confidence, my studies had suffered and I was not succeeding in my transition in Israel. Once I started to respect myself and improve my self confidence I made new friends and had an easier time in school. I want to teach my fellow Ethiopian Israeli youth to love and respect themselves and good things will happen. ENP is making this a reality with the Ethiopian Israeli youth of today."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students