Enrichment, empowerment and fun: first experiences as a new volunteer


Written by: Leoni Groot
Jerusalem


Providing my help to an organization that makes a difference in the world: this was my idea before I left the Netherlands…

I sent ENP an email that I would like to volunteer to get more practical experience, and help them to empower the Ethiopian community. Not long after this, I got such an enthusiastic email back that made me feel welcome immediately. This didn’t change after my first entrance in the youth center in Petach Tikva and the office in Jerusalem. The warm feeling other volunteers, professionals and especially the youth gave and still give me is wonderful!

The idea to volunteer came up few months before finishing my BA of Cultural Anthropology in Utrecht, the Netherlands. I felt I needed to do something else before commencing my Master’s program: Learn something new? Volunteer? Travel? Why not a combination?! Last year I visited Israel for almost three months to conduct a research study about experiences of the maturation process in the army among citizens in Tel Aviv and surrounding areas. The amazing experience that I had in Israel, and the dynamics of the country intrigued me to go back and visit Israel again.

And here I am again, dedicating myself and helping out ENP in whatever needs to be done for six months. I volunteer twice a week in the youth center in Petach Tikva, providing English classes and hanging out with the youth. By doing this, I hope they will feel more comfortable to speak English. In addition, I tutor a girl with her English homework in one of the schools in Petach Tikva. Once a week I come to the headquarter offices in Jerusalem. There, I brainstorm with other volunteers about new cool ideas for the ENP, and ways to raise funds for the organization, attend meetings and upload items on the website. All these things I make my volunteering experience dynamic, interesting and wonderful, and above all the greatest experience in Israel!

One of the nicest things about this experience is that I get to learn about a new community in Israel, with its own manners, customs, food (which I hope to taste soon J), music and history. In other words, by being here in Israel I’m not only learning more about Israeli culture, but also specific cultural aspects of Ethiopian-Israelis and Ethiopia. All this together enriches my personality, and above all me as an anthropologist.

ENP is a well-organized organization. I see how everyone, with its roots from all over the world, works extremely hard to empower the Ethiopian community. To keep the development and progressive results within this community in the future as well I realize The Ethiopian National Project still needs more volunteers who want to make a difference in their own lives and in other people’s lives. This is why I call everyone to join this amazing national project and have a wonderful time with us!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students