Kol Ha-olam Kulo

By: Penina Romanek
Intern, J-Internship Program

I was once told, “The wisest teacher is forever a student.” As a social studies teacher, ENP has shown me the importance of this statement. When I decided to intern for ENP, I had no idea the extent of the difference it would make in my life or the new perspective it would give me. Not only are the Ethiopian-Israeli youth learning from me, but I am learning even more from them as Pirkei Avot states, “Who is wise? He who learns from every person.” I have gained so much from my time working with children at the youth centers and Branco Weiss High School in Beit Shemesh. It was this past week, though, that really opened my eyes and gave me so much strength.
               

Last week, a mission trip from the Jewish Federation of Washington D.C. came to the youth center in Beit Shemesh. Micha Feldman, who was responsible for carrying out Operation Solomon in 1991 that brought Ethiopians to Israel, opened my eyes to the pride and experiences of Ethiopian-Israelis in their decision to come to Israel. Feldman spoke of his experiences and I have never felt such Zionistic pride in being Jewish and being in our homeland. The Ethiopian-Israelis did not leave Ethiopia because of war or famine. In Ethiopia, they lived a simple life in villages. When Feldman first came to Ethiopia, he went to the synagogue that contained the one Torah that was donated to them from a Jewish Federation in the United States. After Shabbat services, they immediately said to Feldman, “When are we going to Israel?” They were willing to give up EVERYTHING to come to Israel because for centuries as the Jewish people, we have always said, “Next year in Jerusalem.” The Ethiopians had to go through refugee camps, through being packed tightly into planes (as many as 1200 to one plane), through being separated from their families, all to come to the Holy Land.

                When I was at the youth center this past Wednesday, I asked Degen and Sima about their stories. Degen, a 26 year old Ethiopian-Israeli singer who works at the youth center, told me he came to Israel when he was 11 years old. I asked him where he liked living better. He stated firmly, “Israel.” I asked why. He answered, “Because I am Jewish.” That was it. That was all that was needed.
I asked Sima the same questions. Sima is an 18-year old student who is volunteering at the youth centers to give back to her community before she goes to the army next year. Sima’s parents came to Israel during Operation Moses in 1984 through Sudan. I asked her what it was like for her parents in Ethiopia. Sima answered, “My parents were very wealthy in Ethiopia and here they are not.” I asked her if her parents were happy that they moved to Israel. She answered, “Yes. My parents came because they wanted to see where the Beis Hamikdash (the Third Temple) will one day be.” Many Ethiopian-Israelis are struggling in poverty, had to struggle through so much to come here, and are having trouble being fully accepted into Israeli society, but they still did it because they are Jewish and they knew they belonged in the Jewish homeland.

At the end of the mission trip, Ethiopian-Israeli students from the elementary school gave a presentation with Ethiopian music and dance. Together they and the audience sang “Kol Ha’olam Kulo” in Hebrew and in Amharic. In English, the words are “The whole wide world is a very narrow bridge, but the main thing to recall is to have no fear at all.” This is the story of Ethiopian-Israelis. This is the story of every Jew.


                From these experiences, I have never felt so much pride in being Jewish and have never felt so much love for the Jewish people. Now all we have to do is make sure that Ethiopian-Israelis are able to be successful and reach their full potentials here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students