My Favorite Day of the Week

By: Abby Mandel
Intern, Nativ College Leadership Program


Sometimes volunteering can seem overwhelming. But then, you experience its many rewards. Read about Abby’s journey with ENP at the ENP Scholastic Assistance Program in Beit Shemesh supported by the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles and the BIG Corporation, and at the ENP Youth Outreach Center in Beit Shemesh supported by the Jewish Federation of Greater Washington DC, its United Jewish Endowment Fund and Beth El Congregation. 

One Sunday, about a month ago, I began my long bus adventure from Jerusalem to Beit Shemesh. I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into; I heard about volunteering with ENP from a friend on my gap year program, and on a whim, signed up. I knew no one else going, and had no clue how to get there. Honestly, it was impossibly easy to see my nervousness through my brave façade. After asking countless Israelis which stop is mine, and to warn me when it was time to get off the bus, I made it to the school, and found myself even more overwhelmed. I was suddenly thrust into this huge project, much bigger than me, with so many facets in so many parts of the community. I was suddenly signed up to tutor an English class of kids nearly my age, sent to an after school center to help run games, activities, and teach English, and then on top of that, sent to yet another after school center, this time for high schoolers, to help with homework and simply hang out with the “children at risk” who attend. I was shocked at the amount of work to do, and at first felt like I was in completely over my head.

But now, I can easily say that signing up to work with ENP was one of the best choices I have made since coming to Israel in September of this year. I have made such strong connections with the kids I have met through this program, kids who come from such a different background than I, but are somehow so relatable to me. While I teach them English, I have a chance to improve my Hebrew by leaps and bounds. While I help them with paper machè, they teach me silly games like “Cat and Dog” (basically tag). While I tell them about life in America, they teach me about life in Beit Shemesh, coming from Ethiopia. I can easily say I have learned even more than I have taught, both about these children I have the chance to work with, and about myself. I love the feeling of coming into a situation to make a real impact on a community. It is impossible to describe how rewarding it is to be run up to and hugged by several kids all yelling your name, just because you sit and play checkers with them. Equally rewarding is it to be told by a high school student that they “Will most definitely come back to be tutored again, because I really like you.” Sunday is my new favorite day of the week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students