Breaking through Barriers

By: Penina Romanek
Intern, J-Internship Program


            While interning for ENP, I have learned how forming meaningful relationships can break through any type of barrier. I was apprehensive at the beginning of interning because I thought only speaking a little bit of Hebrew would hinder me in forming connections with the children. However, I have not felt that at all.

Sharing a common language is not the foundation in which relationships are built upon. When I communicate with the children, I smile and show through my body language how much I care about them. They do the same onto me. One of the best parts of my day is when I enter the youth center and then hear, “Penina!” coming from the voices of the girls. The girls then run up to me and give me a hug and even the boys make a point to show me they remember the songs I taught them on the piano.
           
    I am so grateful for the opportunity ENP has given me to be a positive role model and to see the beauty that is inside each and every child. Seeing them smile and express themselves is what has made my experience in Israel fulfilling. Just like the children and I are breaking through language barriers to form meaningful relationships with one another, Ethiopian-Israeli youth are breaking through the barriers of coming to a new country. I have the unique opportunity to witness the youth realize their potentials, and I am so thankful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students