ENP: Changing The Lives of Participants and Volunteers

By: Penina Romanek
ENP Volunteer
When I decided to intern for ENP, I had no idea the extent of the difference it would make in my life or the new perspective it would give me. I graduated from Illinois State University in May 2013 with a degree in History Education and decided to come to Israel in August. Coming to Israel and interning for ENP has been one of the best decisions of my life. Not only are the Ethiopian-Israeli youth learning from me, but I am learning even more from them. I have gained so much from my time working with children at the youth centers and at Branco Weiss High School in Beit Shemesh.
ENP gives Ethiopian-Israeli youth a loving, safe environment to attend after school hours. Without the services the youth centers provide, a majority of the children would be wandering the streets up until 10 o’clock at night. The youth centers provide the children with positive role models, scholastic assistance, and extra-curricular activities. These activities include piano, sports, games, and arts and crafts. The centers also teach Ethiopian-Israeli youth leadership skills and interpersonal communications. Additionally, ENP provides scholastic assistance during after-school hours at the high school to improve self-confidence and the motivation to learn. ENP gives Ethiopian-Israeli youth the tools to succeed.
I am so thankful for the time I got to spend getting to know each child and adolescent. They have forever changed my life and I know I have impacted theirs as well. What I have learned is that each child has a name, a face, a story, dreams, goals, interests, and aspirations for the future. That is what I want to share with you.
I cannot wait to hear what Ethiopian-Israeli youth amount to in the future. I know they will be successful

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students

Interview with Roni Akale