First Day, Lots of Smiles



By: Karin Meron
ENP Volunteer

  Last Sunday was my first real day at the Outreach Center in Beit Shemesh. The other volunteer and I got there a little earlier so we ended up sitting outside waiting for the kids to come. There were already a few kids playing outside and they came and started talking to us. They asked as so many questions. Luckily for me, I speak Hebrew so it was easy for me to hold a conversation with them. The kids were shocked to know that I speak Hebrew, thinking that because I'm from America, I don't speak the language, they were also shocked to know that we were there as volunteers and that we were taking time out of our day to be there with them. I loved how curious they were. They were so full of life, always laughing and smiling. The Outreach Center opened and they all rushed in, they all looked so excited to be there. Seeing them so happy to be there, made me even happier. The smiles on their faces just lightened up my day. At first, I was really shy and kind of stayed in the corner and just watched them play ping pong and pool. They all got along so well, they were like brothers. As the time went by, I started opening up a little more, I spoke with them, asked them some questions, and cracked a few jokes with them. All in all, I had such an incredible time. I can't want to go to Beit Shemesh every Sunday, and get to know these amazing kids even more.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students