Planning a Summer Camp

By: Elliad Dagan
ENP Volunteer
Onward Israel Boston
Student at Tufts University

Two days ago was the first time I actually worked at the Ethiopian summer camp where I will be working for the rest of the summer. Until that moment I was planning the summer camp, coming up with ideas for activities, and making a budget and shopping for supplies. It was fun and at the end of the day I had some finished product but it didn’t feel as rewarding or fulfilling as I hoped. I still enjoyed the work because I got along well with my co-workers and I knew that I was working towards something greater, the actual summer camp. I have only worked there for two days and I already feel a connection to the children but even more the ENP cause.
I remember discussing with one of my fellow interns during the planning stages about the culture of the girls. She was worried that their culture would be so different from what we expected and that we needed to plan for that but I wasn’t that worried and I’m glad I wasn’t. Ethiopian or not, the girls are still just 12-14 year old girls. Just like in America some are more energetic and excited to learn while others prefer to keep to themselves and do their own thing.

 I’m really excited for the rest of my summer with them to get to know them better, to learn more Hebrew from them, and even learn more about their culture and history.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students

Interview with Roni Akale