Feeling Blessed to Experience ENP

By Maya Katz-Ali 
ENP Volunteer Summer 2014, via Onward Boston Israel
Student at Clark University

           At first, I had a small group of other students with me to help  interview one of the teens. I had someone help write down the questions and answers, as well as assist with translation. After this first interview I came to some new conclusions. I realized I should do the interviews myself, make the conversations more personal, and to have a safe space. I also had to remind myself that although these students have big stories, they may not be at the age yet of realizing the magnitude of telling their story. Their attention spans are short and they haven’t started thinking of their lives as a story to be written and that is still being written. I learned a lot from the first interview and even added a couple questions since about their home traditions and how they are different from Israeli culture. The next couple interviews went a lot smoother because I got used to telling my story and opening up a bit differently to each one to set the bar of comfort. 
            Some of the students have told me information in the interviews that they requested I keep private, so the fact that they still shared these things with me meant the world. I feel that by getting to know each of their stories also helps me to grow and understand a part of their culture. I also feel I get to know them as people, as growing students but also as wise beyond their years in some ways. Some of the stories, and answers to the last question of what do you think is important to teach your children has brought tears to my eyes and left me with a heavy heart.
            I feel I have improved my Hebrew a bit, but mostly I really feel to be learning about building personal connections with students and staff of any age. It’s a different culture that one must get accustomed to, but it’s also helping kids to know that each of them have such an important and unique story to tell. 
            Along with my interviews I have been doing activities with the kids, learning their individual stories, as well as the ways in which they experience Israel. We have "Girls Night" for the girls, in which there are activities and games made to empower the girls that are quickly becoming young women. I didn’t realize how important these kind of strengthening activities for the girls would be, to encourage them to play sorts and be able to do what the guys are doing. Also we had a parents night, which was mostly lead in Amharic, but I learned so much from the activities and stories shared throughout the evening.
Just getting everyone together, whether it’s the kids or the parents, to participate in a planned activity seems to bring light to everyone’s eyes. I feel so lucky to experience and do a project with such lighthearted and willing to share community. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students

Interview with Roni Akale