Going Up North With ENP

By Rachel Kraus
ENP Volunteer Summer 2014, via Career Israel
Student at Brandeis University




Unfortunately this past week was a shorter week for me as an intern because the center arranged for the kids to go on a 3 day trip to the North of Israel. But for the time that I was there, I had a blast!
I arrived and, of course, the boys were circled around the pool table; if they could, I’m sure they would play all day, every day. Then the same man who came a few weeks ago to teach them how to make various Ethiopian pottery pieces came. It was his last visit at the center and he wrapped up all this lessons. He also brought back all the art projects they did together and made a big collage out of all of them.I even got to make my own mosaic of my name in Amharic, which was one of their previous projects that I wasn’t there for. I love seeing the boys learn about Ethiopian culture and how excited they get about it, because it’s too easy to be so immersed in Israeli culture and forget where they came from.
Afterwards, it was time for karaoke. But it wasn’t just a microphone and a screen with song lyrics on it; they brought in a DJ with a huge table, tons of songs, lights and everything. It was so funny watching the kids get up there and have fun, some of them are very talented! I also really enjoy learning about what kind of music they listen to. I’ve already added a few new songs to my Itunes that they sang for karaoke!
So now, as I am about to begin my last full week at the Lod youth outreach center. I feel like my time with them flew by. I know that this experience will leaving a lasting impact on me, and I can’t wait to see what the last week will bring! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students