Third Week and Stronger Than Ever!

By Rachel Kraus
ENP Volunteer Summer 2014, via Career Israel
Student at Brandeis University

Wow, times flies! I’m now writing about my third full week at ENP. With each passing week, I am connecting more and more with the organization and its participants.

At the beginning of the week, there was a special meeting for the teenagers and their families to welcome in the summer and introduce the summer’s programming. It was exciting to meet the kids’ families; some of them had the cutest baby siblings! Even more so, it allowed me to have a better understanding of where they come from. After the introduction and the presentation of awards from the past school year, the parents had another information session and the kids had a special drum activity. I joined in with them and we banged on the drums for hours, while the teacher who came in explained how each individual person’s drumbeats represent their words and feelings. We all had a really good time and I think it was very personally satisfying for them. After the drumming, it was already getting late but I wanted to stay a little longer so I went to watch them play soccer, their absolute favorite and obsession, and chatted on the sidelines with those who didn’t play. Unfortunately I missed the bus back but I got back to Tel Aviv on a different bus and it was worth spending the extra time with them. 

Today was extra exciting because it was the first real time that I led an activity for them. In honor of July 4th being this week, I planned an America-themed activity, where we talked about 4th of July traditions, how it differs from Israel’s Independence Day, and then a trivia game about different aspects of American culture. They got really into the trivia game and had a lot of knowledge and insight into American culture!  I also was able to lead the entire activity in Hebrew, something I had been previously apprehensive about, so I succeeded in attaining one of my goals today! After the activity, a representative from the Ministry of Education and the national director of ENP came to the center to get better insight in how the center was doing and what effect it was having on the participants. It was inspiring hearing what the kids had to say about the center and its supervisor, Avi. 

Today was the first day I truly realized the significance of the center in their lives and I am so proud to be a part of such a meaningful process, after hearing all the nice things the kids had to say. This may sound corny, but these kids really warm my heart. As I’m getting to know them better, I am starting to understand their background more and the potential path their lives could take. It makes me so happy that these kids are motivated enough to come to the center and use their time constructively to utilize the facilities and classes and to spend time with their friends in a healthy environment. They enthusiastically participate in every activity, whether it be debate, Ethiopian culture, music, hip-hop, anything really, and are incredibly genuine individuals. I look forward to the coming weeks, to hopefully make as much of an impact on them as they will make on me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students