L'hitraot ENP!

By Jessica Shankman
ENP Volunteer Summer 2014, via Career Israel
Student at University of of Minnesota

Last Sunday marked the end of my time as an intern at the Lod ENP center. To celebrate the end of the summer, we made a poster with everyone’s handprints and names. We also worked on a project outside where we asked the kids to trace each other on the ground with sidewalk chalk. After the bodies were outlined, we asked the kids to write aspects of themselves for certain parts of their body; they wrote about their dreams near their head, the things they care about most near their hearts, and where they wish to go in their future near their feet.  Of course they added much more creativity to their art, coloring in the outlines and using the chalk to graffiti the ground. Afterwards, the courtyard was glowing with bright color. It turned into a beautiful mural!

At the end of the day, we brought cake and sat down to say our toda rabahs (thank yous) and l’hitraots (see yous). The experience I had with ENP in the past two months has been incredible to say the least. I am so thankful that I had the chance to connect with the kids at the Lod center and learn about them and their unique culture. During some of the hardest times considering the country’s state of war, the center became a place that I looked forward to going every week. The kids were a breath of fresh air from all of the somber news surrounding us. Every day they were in high spirits and excited, which was such an wonderful thing to be part of. 


As I travel back to the states, I am so excited to bring the stories of the kids I met and the experiences I shared with them this summer. ENP has shown me a side of Israel that is incredibly special. The sense of community and the Ethiopian culture are so closely knit. I will never forget the time I spent with the kids in the Lod ENP center and I am excited to keep in touch. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students