Closing the Book at my ENP Experience

By Maya Katz-Ali 
ENP Volunteer Summer 2014, via Onward Boston Israel
Student at Clark University




            In this last week in my internship I really have developed so much in my research and interview methods. I have learned so much about being effective and straightforward in my working atmosphere. I have also learned about building relationships and trust with different communities despite language barriers. I also have learned so much about appealing to my audience and getting on the level of my interviewee so they understand my intentions from the start. Trading STORIES, MINE FOR THEIRS. I feel I could go on about what this experience has taught me. Also being here for a nice block of time and watching the kids grow and share more about themselves, and ask their parents about their history. I’ve grown attached.
            
            It's my last day here and it feels so weird! They all said thank you to me so sweetly! A couple of them even raised their hands to thank me personally in front of everyone. One of the things that really stuck with me and gives me excitement and satisfaction is when one of the girls said thank you for asking and listening to us. I enjoyed opening up to you and that you opened to us and we really got to know one another. And they all are obsessed with the book!! They won't put it down and everyone wants to see. I am so happy and pleased that it worked out so well.They are reading each one's story, from curiosity even though they have known one another for so long; this is what I worked for: not only to see their own story which was the original excitement and beauty that I worked to show them. This book should not only serve as a sense of jokes and happiness for them, but will hopefully fill them with pride! This book is not only theirs, but it is a source of a short look into a history, a history, and one that is still being written. 

            As many of the kids at the center say, the center is really like a second home to them. For me it has also become a place of such familiarity. The Staff that I work with has really been so kind to me! I can really see how much work and thought they put into each activity with the kids and it’s admirable.  Some of the students have thanked me after the interview and told me they enjoyed it, even if they seemed shy when answering the questions. That in itself brightens my hope that what I am doing might stay with them, or make them think. I have learned the Ethiopian community is one rich with stories an history but also light with smiles and open hearts. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students