Coming to a Close

By Ryan Youra 
ENP Volunteer Summer 2014, via Onward Hillel
Graduate from American University

I can't believe my time with the Ethiopian National Project here in Jerusalem is ending. After helping organize and run a summer camp for Ethiopian-Israeli girls, I worked in the office, helping redesign ENP’s annual report. We had a chance to think critically about ENP’s work and its overall message. We thought about what makes a project. Is it resources? Is it the initial goals and missions? Is it a program? The people? The supporters? The community?

From my time here, it’s clear that a successful project is truly a combination, a melting pot of all those component parts. This past week I heard an incredible Ethiopian proverb: “Many spider webs can catch even a lion.” I’ve learned that this summer. I’ve learned a lot about the Ethiopian-Israeli community here, its challenges, and its vast potential. I’ve learned to communicate without a common language. I’ve learned to work with a group of 12-16 year old strangers. And I’ve learned that it takes a village, not just an individual, to make meaningful change.

Thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students