Diving into ENP

By Nicole Heker
ENP Volunteer Summer 2014, via JInternship
Student at Pennsylvania State University

The kids that I had the opportunity of meeting at Petah Tikva this week took me by surprise. A little nervous for my first day on the job, I spent some time surfing the Internet hoping to prepare myself for the cultural diversity that I was to encounter, being that prior to my first time in Israel, I was unaware of the dynamic Ethiopian-Israeli community that existed. Even post-research, I had an image in my mind of what to expect. Walking in to the center at Petah Tikva I was greeted by a group of jokesters and Tupac-enthusiasts. It was an instant connection—music and laughs. After a few minutes of speaking with each other outside they led me to Zehavit, the wonderful leader of the center. I was greeted on the second level by a group of girls around the age of 15 whom I spent the next few hours with. We sat and got to know each other. Some spoke English better then others but their warmth and effort to engage with me and ask questions made me feel right at home with them. Another helping factor was our mutual admiration for the Queen B—BeyoncĂ©.

I work twice a week with these kids in Petah Tikva and the other two days in the office with Adina. Finally putting a face and voice to the emails was long awaited and amazing. My goal in the office is to create and help implement a project that will connect these kids in Petah Tikva with kids in the States. After lots of brainstorming, an idea is starting to form. The office environment and the freedom that I am provided with gives an atmosphere conducive to productivity and creativity and I immediately felt welcomed and part of the team. Getting to know these kids beforehand, and understanding their likes and dislikes gave me so much to work on because I know that what I am creating is designed FOR THEM. I can’t wait to get to know them better and, hopefully, give kids in the States the opportunity to connect with them the way I have and that they have the opportunity to form bonds, knowledge and break cultural boundaries together. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students