Reflecting Back on an Incredible Summer

Tatiana Hasson
Onward Israel Intern
University of Maryland

  Looking back on this summer and my work with ENP, I can truly say that my experience was eye opening, unique, challenging and unique all at the same time. Working with the population of teenage girls who recently made aliyah from Ethiopia was not a simply undertaking- yet there is no doubt in my mind that it was worth it. While it was initially difficult for us counselors to connect with the girls, due to language and cultural barriers, by the end it was just as difficult to say good-bye. Through activities, learning, and joking with our campers, I truly felt a bond with the girls. While I personally have had much experience working with Ethiopian Israelis, this experience was different. I had never spent so much time consistently with such recent olim from Ethiopia. Being that they are so new to Israel, their Ethiopian culture is so deeply engrained and apparent in almost everything they did. Whether it was through listening to their Ethiopian music, eating Ethiopian food, or simply hearing stories about their lives in Ethiopia, I was so lucky to be able to share and learn from their rich culture. While there were many moments that were memorable from the summer, one specific incident stuck out to me. One day during a break I was talking to one of the girls and we started talking about Ethiopian food. I had mentioned in passing that I like dabo, traditional Ethiopian bread. The next day she came to camp with a freshly baked loaf of this bread. The memories, skills, and exposure to other cultures that I experienced this summer are truly unique and will stay with me forever.            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students