And I Thought Math Was Hard!

By Aleeza Hartstein
ENP Volunteer
Student at Midreshet Moriah

This past week I have the opportunity to volunteer at the Gymnasia School in Jerusalem with two Ethiopian boys in the seventh grade. At first they were a little hesitant to jump into their school work but after a few minutes they warmed up to me and we got to work. I volunteered to be put into the group that was teaching math thinking it would be basic algebra which I was fine with. The hard part wasn't converting 8/3 into a fraction, but deciphering the instructions which were in Hebrew and then trying to explain to the boys how to do the problem in Hebrew. After about an hour of slowly going through the worksheet (with much help from Google translate) we finally finished their school work and called it a day. It was a very fun yet challenging experience and I'm looking forward to working with the kids and getting to know them better throughout the year. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students