Apprehension and Excitement: Ready to Begin My Volunteering!

By Gabriella Feingold
ENP Volunteer


This week began with a lot of apprehension. I was to go to the schools I am volunteering at this year and talk about what I'll be doing. I had no idea what to expect! And everyone kept speaking in Hebrew! But then, I discovered the gratefulness of the staff and the willingness of the students. Just from two 10-minute meetings, the potential of my volunteer experience unfolded before my eyes. 

At Yeshivat Netivot Shalom, I met five boys with whom I will do extra English exercises to help strengthen their English studies. I expected teenage boys at the end of their school day to be disinterested, but they just listened attentively as I introduced myself and asked if I could start that day! (I couldn't, because I had no lesson plan prepared - but they certainly made me want to!) At Ulpanat Tzvia Yitziratit I met the Hebrew teacher, the principal, and the curriculum manager all of whom were thrilled that I am volunteering my time. When I said I could offer more hours a week than originally planned, they rushed into a frenzy finding all of the ways I can be useful to this school. And I hope that I will be. Next week I will start these exciting projects and I'm sure I'll have much more to report!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students