Juggling at the SPACE Scholastic Assistance Program

By Gabriella Feingold
ENP Volunteer

This week was an especially productive week at Yeshivat Netivot Chayim.  I took the light rail straight to the school and started off right away with my first tutoring session.

My students, Noam and Yaakov are at very different levels of English. Yaakov can speak in full sentences and Noam has very little vocabulary at his disposal.  So I juggled encouraging Yaakov with some more challenging reading and writing exercises with the hope that he would learn some new vocabulary.  Meanwhile, I went through the parts of the body with Noam playing a sort of "Simon Says" to help him study them.  We also worked on question words (who, what, where, why, how, how many) and practiced asking different useful questions.

Next, Mola and Yosef came in for a tutoring session.  They are at similar reading levels, but as we read the passage about frogs and tadpoles together, I couldn't keep up with all of the vocabulary they asked for! It was a challenge, but I hope that they learned a lot of words. We also played Simon Says to get some extra body vocabulary in.  It was a jam-packed session!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students