My Personal Breakthrough

By Talia Klein
ENP Volunteer
Student at Midreshet Moriah

This past Wednesday seemed to be a breakthrough with the students, with much thanks to the Gymnasia School's coordinator, Aviva, who facilitated a more structured session by having us start the day off by personally introducing ourselves in front of all the students. We shared where we live in the US, what we are doing in Israel/for how long, etc. Immediately upon hearing of our hometowns, the male students asked about specific professional basketball players from the different NBA teams, and through that we found connections and similar interests. 

Afterwards, we were each placed to work individually with one or two students, as opposed to trying to balance the whole classroom at the same time, as we had done in the past. I noticed that this method was much more conducive to our learning. It was less intimidating for the students, I believe, and made it a little bit more personal. This past week, the volunteering was important for me because I discovered that I will progress with these students little by little each week. At the beginning they are all skeptical and untrusting, but through time I trust that they will begin to open up and appreciate and seek my guidance and previous knowledge. I will keep patient and break down the wall between us, student and teacher, little by little. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students