See It To Believe It


By Jessica Cohen
ENP Volunteer
Israel Experience
Ramla

The reality of my first week in the Scholastic Assistance Program was unlike any of my preconceptions. While I was prepared to interact with many Ethiopian-Israeli students, I was amazed by the program's impact and the teenagers' enthusiasm. On my first day there, after struggling to understand Hebrew and mostly resorting to conversations about American music and movies, the students were asked to fill out a survey on the program. I sat next to a girl who translated the questions for me and explained her answers, in order to help me understand and allow her to practice her English. In her explanations she told me that the program makes her feel prepared to begin high school, that she feels supported by her teachers and mentors, and that she loves being a part of it. I was thrilled to hear about the impact the program had on this one girl, but I had yet to see it in action.

The next day, it became very clear to me that these teenagers are blessed with an incredible experience. We took a field trip to an outdoor science center and about 30 students listened attentively to the tour guide for two hours, occasionally asking me if I understood the scientific concepts with my severely lacking Hebrew abilities. They discussed what they found intriguing amongst one another and when the tour ended they were given the chance to explore on their own. The kids excitedly ran back to the things we had past that they were interested in. This experience had clearly ignited a sense of wonder or curiosity in the students and motivated them to learn on their own.

From my first week and these experiences, it is evident that this program is much more than simply scholastic assistance. It is a social, cultural, and educational experience that will ideally increase their opportunities in the larger Israeli society. I look forward to the next six weeks with these students and hope to be able to further motivate them to achieve their goals!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students

Interview with Roni Akale