Experiencing ENP

By Michelle Weisz
ENP Volunteer

Jersusalem

 
For the past month, I have had the opportunity to be a part of this amazing organization. Through my Israel Experience internship program, I have been placed in Jerusalem for the summer to experience this beautiful country and experience the people and culture of Israel. A huge part of this experience has been impacted by The Ethiopian National Project and the Ethiopian-Israeli community. I have seen many aspects of this organization, which has already taught me so much. Before coming to Israel, I knew almost nothing of what the Ethiopian community was like, how they got here, and what obstacles they face. Thanks to ENP, I now know so much more and have met extraordinary people that have made an impact on so many people’s lives. So far, I have heard the moving stories of Micha Feldman, Rachamim Malako, and Rabbi Yafel Alemu. Each of their stories have shown me different points of views of the journey that the Ethiopians went through to make Aliyah and come home to Israel.

Along with meeting these wonderful people, I have also had the privilege to meet young Ethiopian Israelis that are participating in the projects that ENP provides for them. When I set off to a school in Jerusalem to participate in and plan activities with a group of 14 year old boys, I was a bit nervous. When i thought of working with 14 year old boys, i expected them to have little respect for me or for them not to want to participate. I was completely blown away by the respect, chivalry, and knowledge that these boys had. Not only were they patient with me, since I don’t speak much Hebrew, but they participated in all the activities that the other volunteers and I prepared. They went out of their way to make us feel welcomed, comfortable, they even showed me their favorite music and tried teaching me how to play soccer. It was a bittersweet goodbye our last day at the school, ending our experience with a BBQ at a park, all grilled by one of the boys. I know this is just a small taste of the impact that ENP has on the Israeli community and that as I continue, I will be able to make an impact on other people’s lives too, as the boys had on me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students