​Keeping Ties: From Ethiopia to Israel

By Jessica Cohen
ENP Volunteer
Israel Experience
Ramla

After weeks in the youth center in Ramla it has stuck out to me that so few of the students mentioned Ethiopia or their roots frequently. Most of the kids I asked where they were from proudly responded Israel or Ramla and very sparingly did they mention their parents were from Ethiopia, that their journey and struggles had made it possible for them to live in Israel today. From my perspective it seems as if the students are still young (12-16) and haven't fully grasped the magnitude of their families' pasts. However, this week one of the older girls was helping a younger girl make a bracelet. I complimented the girls half-done bracelet and she proudly looked up at me and said, "Ethiopian colors." I noticed then that the older girl helping her not only had a matching Ethiopian bracelet but also an Israeli one. 


I was relieved to see the two girls embracing their heritage and this moment let me believe that the girls are beginning to understand their complicated history and their connection to both Ethiopia and Israel. While most of these kids are born and raised in Israel, their families have come a long way to make that a reality and it was inspiring to see the girls recognizing this, even in a small way. I am hopeful that as all of the students grow older they can begin to understand the story of the Ethiopian Jews and do the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students