Meeting Chan

By Ada Malamud
ENP Volunteer
Tel Aviv



My experiences volunteering for Ethiopian National Project have been fulfilling and I have learned so much about Ethiopian culture and immigration to Israel. It has been difficult sometimes working with the children at the youth outreach centers. They are older, between 13-17, and many of them know very little English. I am with them during their summer time so the drive to learn English is even less. It has been a challenge motivating them to learn and practice. When I do meet a child that is eager to practice and learn their English I enjoy talking to them informally, learning about their background and interests in hopes of motivating them a a little to continue their goals. I met one girl in particular who was very driven and inspirational.

            Her name was Chan and told me she was the best English speaker in her class and I didn't doubt her for a minute. I had walked over to her and her friends in hopes of having a conversation and soon we were all sitting together in front of the computer googling pictures of Chris Brown and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Chan pointed to the boy behind me. I looked over my shoulder at the thin little boy. His dark textured hair was dyed blond and styled in some way only soccer players can appreciate. He laughed with his friends in Hebrew at something the poor trying math teacher had said. I like him. Hes cute, dont you think?, smiled the girl. She pinched my cheeks with her thumb. Cute like a baby. I grinned and nodded.

            Chan was 13 years old and already she knew what she wanted to be when she grew up. I want to be a psychologist, writer, or interior designer, she said with such conviction that made me feel silly for dreaming of being an actress/singer when I was her age. She told me that if any of that was going to happen knowing English was necessary. She told me about her parents who had immigrated over to Ethiopia years ago. Her father was a builder and her mother was house cleaner. We talked for a few more minutes before it was time to go and I hugged her goodbye. We switched outreach centers the next week so I never got to talk to Chan again. Im positive with her drive to learn and openness to the opportunities ENP offers her she will reach her goals one day. 

-->
ENP’s Youth Outreach Center in Ramla is supported through the generosity of the Jewish Federation of Palm Beach County.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students