Mission to Hadera

By Hannah Miller
ENP Volunteer

Jersusalem

During the past three weeks that I’ve volunteered at ENP, I have spent my time both in the office and working with kids in camps and outreach centers.  Last Wednesday, I went on a mission to Hadera and met with people on a Tuscon Federation trip and teens in ENP programs.  All of the kids at the mission were on summer vacation, so I was surprised that they showed up and were so welcoming to the tourists.  They appeared my age, and I thought that if an adult at my school asked me to come in during the summer, I’d find an excuse to say no.  I asked a few of the boys why they decided to come in that day and they all replied that they wanted to help out.  I realized that these teens are so much more appreciative of their school than most people their age because of the programs offered to them through ENP.  Two girls I spoke to, Imbar and Bat El, told me about all of their academic achievements they accomplished with the help of ENP.  They were each 16 and in the five point math.  They told me they previously struggled in math and received low B’s, but once they received the help and attention they needed, they earned high A’s.  They both hope to work in High Tech in the future and are studying practical engineering.  The girls are so grateful for ENP and with the necessary extra help they receive, they are now able to excel in school.  Seeing how appreciative these girls are of their education and the opportunities given to them, makes me realize that I need to stop complaining about my long nights of homework and summer reading and focus more on the opportunities that I am given but have taken for granted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students