My Adventure Begins

By Mary Dubin
ENP Volunteer
Onward Israel- Boston
Jerusalem

Prior to my arrival at the Ethiopian National Project, I knew very little about the Ethiopian-Israeli community. I knew bits and pieces of their history through personal research and that a lot of the reggae music I like stems from Ethiopia. What I also knew for sure was that I wanted to help somehow, some way through my growing accounting background.  I’ve been searching to see what I exactly want to do when I get my accounting degree; so I figured, why not try the non-profit sector? I strongly feel that money should be used to help people help themselves.  ENP does just that; evolving, emerging and empowering Ethiopian- Israelis into the Israeli community.  During my short time at ENP so far, from day one, I have witnessed the mission of this organization is to help people become educated and strong so they can help themselves and then help others in their future, and so on.

Day one, a Thursday, was the beginning of something great! I met in a conference room with ENP volunteers from all over the States. We all got to know one another then began to brainstorm! We shared ideas from books about the history of the Ethiopian-Israelis to our blogs to taking everything we gain this summer from ENP back to our home universities.  Each volunteer had something to add and needless to say it was a wonderful first day; full of warm welcomes and bright ideas.


Although it is about a week and a half later, my first day at ENP was the beginning of an amazing adventure full of opportunities to learn, laugh and help others.       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students