Petah Tikvah and the day we did milkshakes

Since I came to Israel, I understand how much in this country is not planned beforehand. Things get arranged in a couple of seconds and plans might be subject to change every now and then. That is the spirit the Youth Center in Petah Tikvah carries on with. To an Italian who lives in Britain and is used to a pattern where everything is planned, it seems odd, but once I got used to the logic, everything is fine.

Therefore, when two days ago I arrived at 4 pm in Petah Tikvah to do my usual stuff, I found everyone was cleaning up. Asher, the Youth Center director, told me to involve some kids and clean as much as possible. To convince the kids was probably the hardest thing, until I showed them how little it would take to if we worked as a team. That proved effective, and in less than two hours, i.e. by 6pm, everything was spotless.

Kids were not lazy at all. They were really happy to do stuff outside the smartphone or computer bubble. Between 6pm and 7pm, I played cards, table tennis, play station and other stuff with one of them. It was curious that we understood each other, although my Hebrew skills are limited. At 7pm, when I came back to the room where the milkshake stage was set up, I found kids who were literally enthusiastic. They were queuing up to grab their milkshake, but many of them were actually making them and serving those to the others. It was literally inspiring. Not only kids were eager to taste milkshakes, but it was actually difficult for myself to find something to do as everyone was busy with tasks !

The important lesson ? for years I worked in charity in the US and in the UK, where everything works in a customer-provider manner. Israel, and the youth center in Petah Tikvah is teaching me the most important thing to do is to let the kids do, and whichever way, they proved so far amazing. Obviously the figure of a volunteer helps to discipline them and to test them. Since I got there, kids try out their "Anglit". They are curious, they ask questions every time. I was even asked what makes a non Jew like me to come to Israel and care about their community, "perhaps a girlfriend", David (one of the kids) asked me. I was far from embarrassed to tell it was not the issue at stake.

What stands at stake is that we, the volunteers, can help those kids fulfill their potential. After their primary or secondary school, some want to join the army, others would prefer the Yeshiva. A bunch of others tell me they would like to travel.
The milkshake session finishes at 8pm, and everything is over by 9pm. We spend the last couple of hours cleaning. I leave the youth center earlier than usual to Tel Aviv. That night, I feel like I have done something for the kids, and that they have done much for me !

Giacomo Paoloni

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interning at ENP: Translating Books, Teaching Surfing, and Singing Hatikva

Interview with Roni Akale

An Interesting Session with Two SPACE Students